Friday, June 6, 2008

Books

By popular demand (Kelly) I have began blogging agian after a two week hiates. I would like to personally appologize to my audiance for this absence.

Let me introduce you to the Lord of the Flies, but first an explanation. Back in High School I did the bare minimum in order to get my diploma and finish high school. I really do regret that decision. I wish I would have applied myself in high school and done the things that I should have done, but that time is gone now so there is very little I can do about that. One of the things that I can do though is this. I am going back and reading the books that I should have read in high school but did not. I started off with Lord of the Flies.

Now I saw Lord of the Flies when I was young and it scared me to death. I think that the idea of little children my age being stranded on an island killing eachother was a frightening thing for a kid. I always had this evil feeling about the movie and thought that the book would be the same. Well now that I have matured I can see that this book is actually quite brilliant. The way I view this is the struggle of power between two leaders, Ralph and Jack. Ralph is the orderly guy that is very structured and Jack just wants to have fun. I enjoyed the struggle between these two and found it very believable.

I should finish my next book tonight and will talk more about that later. Meanwhile has anyone heard of the Twilight series? Everything that I have heard about it makes me think that it is a chick book, but I do like vampires.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, the Twilight series is somewhat of a chick flick series, but they are so good. I have heard that a lot of guys read them too. Try starting one...you will have to read all of them.

Shelley said...

Lord of the Flies was disgusting but you're right it was a good book. I have read the Twilight Series and I think Kelly did too. It is a really good series but you are right it is pretty girly with the exception of some occasional fight scenes.

Unknown said...

Since you like Buffy the Vampire Slayer (maybe because of Buffy herself) you will probably like these books. They are geared towards girls but I know guys who like them too!

A | E said...

A few books one or both of us have read lately that I think you'd love:

1. The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers (f'in awesome time travel book with history references throughout)
2. 1984 by George Orwell (I read it in high school and then a few times since... it's what made me an anarchist, haha, Adam's working on it right now, we could have discussions).
3. The Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill (I haven't finished it yet but Adam loved it...it's about a retired rock star who buys a ghost).
4. American Sideshow: an Encyclopedia of History's Most Wondrous and Curiously Strange Performers by Mark Hartzman (All about Human Curiosities, I finished this awhile ago and I'm currently reading another book on the same subject)

Yeah for books and libraries!