Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Pet Peeves Day # 4

So I have been giving it a lot of thought about what should be day # 4. I knew that I was going to do this pet peeve but I wasn't sure when I should do it. Now seems to be as good of a time as any.

Todays pet peeve just happens to be something that I think all of us do. I am going to speak real specifically about this as to not offend anyone. Todays pet peeve is "one upping". Like I said I really think that all of us do one up's from time to time and I am not blogging about you today. Today I am talking about those who cannot allow someone else to say anything without coming up with a story of their own to top it.

For those of you who may not know what a "One Upper" is let me define. A person can be known as a one upper or can be caught one upping. Other ways of calling this out would be "One upped or one up". Have you ever told a story about something that happend to you or a friend and the person who you are telling this story to says something to the effect of, "Oh yeah, If you think that was crazy let me tell you about..." Well my friend you have been one upped.

Let me make this clarify this in a narrited story. This is a story about two friends named John and Frank. John and Frank were talking one day catching up since the last time they saw eachother. John was telling Frank about taking his children waterskiing.

John: So Frank, last week I took our family on a vacation to go waterskiing at Lake Meed.

Frank: Wow John that sounds like a lot of fun! It reminds me of when I took my family to the Bahamas for 10 days.

John: Uh yeah, so all of my children are doing really great. Kendra got up waterskiing for the first time and my boy Sean is really getting good on the wake board. He is begining to do some tricks while he is riding that make my back hurt just watching. He is really doing great at waterskiing too!

Frank: Cool. When we were in the Bahamas our hotel had a boat we could rent for $175 an hour! We paid for the boat for the entire day to go waterskiing and wakeboarding. Because we had a driver on the boat all of us got to waterski at the same time. My wife and son Teddy formed the base of a waterski pyramid while my other two sons Ken and Glen got on our shoulders to form the second row, and then we had our 10 year old daughter, Mercedes, get on top to finish the human pyramid. The whole beach was going crazy and applauding for us. It was so much fun!!!

John: Uh, wow Frank that was amazing. I think I have to go now.

You see John now hates Frank for one upping him several times in one conversation and will never talk to him again. We really all do one ups now and again. I think it is natural to do. But to make a point of constantly being on top is just plain rude.

There was a great SNL clip that I was unable to find with LeBron James at some charity event and a person in the crowd one upping everything said regardless of how outragious it was. Sorry I couldn't find it, it was pretty funny.

No comments: